Sexual Assault Accusations and Defenses

« Back to Home

How Can Family Lawyers Assist You If Your Ex Is Violating Child Custody Orders?

Posted on

Child custody agreements are put in place to ensure that both parents have a relationship with their children and that the children's best interests are always kept in mind. Unfortunately, not all parents adhere to the terms of their agreement. If your ex is violating the child custody agreement, there are several things family law attorneys can do to help you. 

1. Enforcement of Custody Orders

If your ex is violating the terms of a child custody order, family lawyers can file a motion for enforcement with the court. This will notify the court that the other parent is not following the terms of the custody order and give the judge an opportunity to take action. The judge may order make-up time for the parent who has been deprived of their visitation rights or modify the custody arrangement to prevent future violations.

2. Modification of Custody Orders

If repeated violations of a child custody order demonstrate that it is no longer in the best interest of the child to maintain the current arrangement, a family law attorney can file a motion to modify custody. A judge will then review the current arrangement and may make changes to visitation schedules or parental decision-making rights.

3. Contempt of Court

If your ex refuses to follow a court order, they can be held in contempt of court. This is a serious offense and can result in penalties, such as fines or even jail time. A family lawyer can help you file a contempt of court motion and gather evidence to prove that the other parent is in violation of the court order.

4. Get an Order of Protection

In some cases, repeated violations of a child custody order may rise to the level of harassment or even stalking. If this is happening to you, you can ask the court for an order of protection. This will require your ex to stay a certain distance away from you and/or your child and could result in criminal charges if they violate the order.

If your ex is violating child custody orders, it's important to seek legal assistance as soon as possible. An experienced family law attorney can help you enforce custody orders, modify them if necessary, and even obtain protection from abuse orders if needed. Don't try to deal with this situation on your own. Call family lawyers today for professional help so that you and your children can be safe and protected.

Contact a local family lawyer to learn more.